Saturday, July 4, 2015

Slip. Laugh. Get naked.

One of the things I am most proud of is my ability to laugh at myself even when things aren’t going so well.

Take this past Wednesday morning for example.

I woke up in a pretty bad mood. I had gotten little sleep due to a bug bite on my palm that was exceptionally itchy and at times painful. When I looked at my hand the next morning, I found the bug bite had caused my hand to swell and become a worrisome red. Cool. The swelling would go down eventually and for the meantime I’d just have to deal. I laughed and congratulated myself on my first Peace Corps medical issue, and what a lame one it was at that.

I then decided not to wash my hair or shave my armpits because my hand was so uncomfortable (and honestly because I just wasn’t in the mood) and I laughed that I was no longer the Rachel back home who could not leave the house without her hair washed or her armpits shaved. It helps not having mirrors around.

After my short body shower and dressing myself, I walked into the living room and sat down to flies swarming my breakfast. I laughed a few minutes later when I realized I didn’t even hesitate to eat the food. Sanitary, I know.

Walking to school I got caught in the rain and slipped twice on the wet ground. I did that awkward catch-myself-then-look-around-to-see-if-anyone-saw movement and had to laugh when I realized people definitely saw me. I’m making such a great impression here.

And when I was maybe 3 yards away from our training classroom, I stepped into a giant puddle of mud. I was SO CLOSE to making it all the way, free from dirt and mud! I laughed that I’ll know when I’m completely assimilated when I can walk anywhere in sandals and keep my feet perfectly clean, just like the locals do.

While any of those things could have ruined my day, I tried not to take them too seriously. That may be because I subconsciously know this lifestyle is only temporary. It may be because I’ve stopped caring. But I prefer to think it’s because I’ve come to the realization that there are far worse things to fret over than dirty feet. Then again, that could just be the optimistic PCT side talking.

Whatever the reason may be, I’m glad I’m laughing and not freaking out (for the most part).

Laughter and making light of situations is something that I’m not only using as a coping mechanism, but that other PCTs are using as well.

During our language session that same Wednesday afternoon, one of my fellow PCTs told us about an awkward interaction she had had with her host family the night before.

Hoping to practice her Mortlockese, she used the Mortlockese word for “thank you”, killisou (key-lee-so), when her host dad gave her some bottled water. The host dad became very quiet and looked at her questioningly. She noticed the rest of her host family had fallen silent and she wondered what she had done wrong. Apparently she had mispronounced killisou and ended up saying kilisou, which is a Pohnpeian word for “naked.” Her host family is Pohnpeian, so they didn’t know she was trying to say “thank you” in Mortlockese at first. Talk about awkward. She said the whole family was still laughing and joking about the incident the next morning at breakfast.

Rather than getting upset or frustrated with her pronunciation mistake, she laughed about it and recounted the story to us so we could all laugh with her. I think I speak for the rest of the PCTs when I say laughter is a great coping mechanism.

As I’ve mentioned in previous blog entries, I have yet to reach the most challenging parts of my service, but I hope I can keep laughing at myself even when those times come.

Enjoy your clean feet,
Rachel

P.S. My hand continued swelling throughout Wednesday and Thursday, causing me to contact the PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer). I took ibuprofen and used a hot compress to help reduce the swelling, but it took a few days for my hand to return to its normal color and size. Still not sure what caused it—I don’t think a bug bite would continue spreading like that after the first day…

P.S.S. If you’ve stayed updated with me though Facebook, you probably know that my permanent site will be on Ettal Atoll in the Mortlocks of Chuuk, so I’m also learning Mortlockese along with the PCT I mentioned! There are 6 of us going to the Mortlocks, 2 going to Chuuk Lagoon, 3 going to Yap main island, 3 going to Kosrae, and 4 staying on Pohnpei. Since the languages are different in every state, and sometimes even from island to island, we’ve been separated into groups for our language classes. We move to our permanent sites and in with our permanent host families mid August of this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment