Monday, August 10, 2015

Host Family Appreciation Day

Pahpa Pancake, Nohno Pancake, and I
Last Friday afternoon Peace Corps hosted a Host Family Appreciation Day where we were able to express our gratitude for our families.

We presented our families with vegetables from our garden in hand-woven baskets. They also received a certificate from the Peace Corps that thanked them for contributing to our success as Trainees and eventually Volunteers.

Later we showed them a video (filmed and edited by PCTs Jasmin and Kaylin) and held a small "talent show" that consisted of singing and dancing.

M81: Host Family Appreciation Video

It's crazy to think that we'll be leaving our host families and moving to our permanent sites across the FSM this weekend.

While there have certainly been frustrations living with host families, the overall experience has been positive.

And I really do feel like I've become part of my pancake family! My host sister got locally "married" last night and my Pahpa Pancake warned another menwei (white person) at the ceremony that he better not "take his other daughter (me) away!"

Here's to families, big and small, near and far.

No comments:

Post a Comment