Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Model School Week 2 &3

Weeks 2 and 3 of Model School were so hectic and such a blur that it’s difficult for me to reflect on them in depth. I will say however, that I am very satisfied with the overall experience for multiple reasons (not just the fact that I made it through alive).

For one, I am extremely thankful I got more hands-on experience teaching. I would loved to have even more before I moved to Ettal, but I realize how jam-packed PST is already. I was also glad to get an idea of what working with a counterpart will be like. While it can be frustrating trying to lesson plan together, it’s very rewarding when you find your rhythm.  Learning how to deal with and manage cultural differences, in regards to students, co-teachers, staff, administration, and the DOE (Department of Education), was extremely taxing, but beneficial in the long run.

Long story short, Model School opened my eyes to the education issues occurring across the FSM and presumably at my permanent site. Though many of these issues were negative, I did have some major “ah-hah!” moments as a teacher that I’ll keep in the back of my mind as I move to teach in Ettal:

-The enthusiasm you put in is the enthusiasm you’ll get out.

-Your enthusiasm has the potential to even engage and encourage your co-teacher.

Denny and Jesse acting out a story they wrote


-Targeting the different level groups of students and lesson planning with them in mind is extremely difficult.

-Station teaching is awesome if you have the resources and more than one teacher.

-Your body language can make or break a student’s confidence.

-Students love every chance they get to compete and celebrate.

Spelling Bee winners! 

First Annual Jupiter Spelling Bee


-If you’re a PCV in the FSM, you’re most likely going to be writing the lesson plans for you and your counterpart. Actually, all of them.

-You’ll also most likely have to jump in when your co-teacher is teaching and save the lesson.

-Teacher evaluations are not done efficiently or taken seriously in the FSM.

And I’m sure there will be many more take-aways during the next two years. But for now,

Cheers to a successful Model School!

Rachel

Laurel and I during our Christmas in July celebration

1 comment:

  1. I've also noticed a lot (at least in my classes, it's probably the same elsewhere) that the students hardly give feed back if the teacher asks if everyone understands a topic. It's good to pick up on their body language and/or do in class exercises to draw out the people that don't know much on that topic so you can help them. Hope this helps :)

    P.S. I'm jealous of your July Christmas.

    ReplyDelete